Smoking tofu transforms famously bland and very nutritious soy product into a delicious, tasty grilled meal. It can absorb smoky flavors during the process, and it has long been high-protein meat replacement for vegetarians. Turn a boring meal into something special adding it to the different types of dishes.
Smoking it at home is easy, and you won’t have to spend a lot of money buying it in the store. Once you learn how to prepare tofu in a great electric smoker, you will be amazed by its taste. Possessing all the essential amino acids, soy product is considered a complete protein, unlike most plant-based foods.
How do you please meat-lovers and vegans with the same meal?
The answer is smoked tofu. It has a great barbeque flavor and it’s nutritious. It is all about the balance!
If you have a lot of friends and family who are vegetarian or vegan but love the magic of smoked dish, then try out some smoked tofu recipe.
If you want to know more all you have to do is read on.
Click to jump straight to each topic
Set the electric smoker to 250 degrees F. Season the Tofu the way you prefer, but we like it when it has that pure smoke flavor. For south-western style meals, mesquite is the best option.
With Asian, Hispanic and Italian dishes the hickory works really good. Place the Tofu in the unit when reaches the right temperature. Smoke it for about four hours keeping the appliance above one hundred and fifty degrees F.
This way, the soy product will lose some water volume. It is over when it is firm but has that velvety feel and when it shrinks by 1/3.
1. Vegetable Stir Fry And Sweet Smoked Tofu
For the sauce:
- Two tablespoons light soy sauce
- One tablespoon chili sauce, sweet
- One tablespoon dry sherry
- One tablespoon red chili, crushed
- One tablespoon tomato puree
- One tablespoon sesame oil, toasted
For the stir-fry:
- Two or three vegetable oil
- Smoked tofu, 200 g
- Two or three garlic cloves
- Two teaspoon ginger roots, finely chopped
- Baby corn, 100 g
- Mushrooms, 150 g
- Mange tout, 100 g
- Carrots, 250 g
- One green pepper, medium
- To serve – rice or noodles
- Slice the mushrooms thinly and the baby corn lengthwise. Peel and slice the carrots on the diagonal. Cut the pepper into strips and tofu into chunks. Use a jug, place the sauce ingredients and mix it well.
- In a wok, pour the olive oil and heat over a high temperature. Add the crushed garlic, chopped ginger, and the tofu and stir until it starts to brown, for about one or two minutes. After that, put the pepper and carrots to the wok and fry for another two or three minutes.
- The next thing is to add baby corn and mushrooms and cook until the second vegetable starts to brown, for a few minutes. The last thing to add is the mange tout and until the pods are bright green, stir it well for about one minute. Pour the sauce over and coat with vegetables.
- When begins to bubble, stir for another minute or two, so you can be sure that everything is well combined and the vegetables are cooked properly. Serve it immediately with the rice or noodles, whatever you prefer.
2. Smoked Tofu Paella
- Pressed and cubed smoked tofu, one pack
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- Mushrooms, 150 g
- Chopped broccoli, 50 g
- Sliced red pepper, 100 g
- Slice baby corn, 50 g
- Finely diced, one medium onion
- Two crushed garlic cloves
- Finely chopped one red chili
- White rice or paella, 275 g
- Two teaspoons smoked paprika
- Two tablespoon tomato puree
- White wine, 200 ml
- Vegetable stock, 900 ml
- Chopped and peeled tomatoes, 150 g
- Two tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper and salt
- One lemon to garnish
- In a large saucepan, pre-heat one tablespoon olive oil and fry the tofu on both sides for a few minutes, and to reserve put to one side. Pour the remaining oil into the same pan and add baby corn, pepper, and mushroom. Cook until brown lightly and reserve to one side after removing from the pan.
- In the pan put the onions and soften. Add the tomato puree, smoked paprika, rice, chili and the garlic and cook for about one minute. Add tomatoes, stock and wine, and until the rice is cook simmer the mixture. If it is necessary also add more liquid during cooking time.
- Include parsley, vegetables and tofu and season with freshly ground black pepper and salt. You can use the lemon wedge to garnish.
3. Gazpacho With Tofu Herb Spring Rolls
- Two toast slices
- ½ diced cucumber
- Two red peppers
- One finely chopped shallots, peeled
- Three finely chopped and peeled garlic cloves
- One zested lemon
- One dash lemon juice
- Smoked tofu, two packages
- Eight rice pepper leaves
- Rosemary leaves, one sprig
- Finely chopped fresh thyme leaves, one sprig
- Finely chopped basil leaves, two stalks
- Cut the crust off the toast to make a gazpacho, and use cold water to soak it in. The next step is to squeeze out the liquid. Place the bread in the blender with the season, lemon juice, half the garlic, shallots, pepper, and cucumber. Mix it well for about minute or two.
- With the rest of the garlic, mix the lemon zest and add a pinch of salt. Create eight smaller blocks out of tofu block cutting it horizontally and then half vertically. Pour the cold water into the bowl and then soak in it each piece of rice paper for about one minute. Spread the paper on a damp cloth after you have removed it from the liquid. On a piece of rice paper, put a slice of tofu and make sure that it is one ¼ inch distanced from the edge.
- Dot garlic mixture and some of the lemon on top of the tofu. Sprinkle with pepper, salt and some of the herbs and then create a sealed parcel by folding the paper around it. In a frying pan, heat the oil and cook the tofu parcels for about four to five minutes, turning it occasionally. With the gazpacho on the side, serve the crispy parcels.
4. Smoked Tofu Tortillas
- Smoked tofu, cut into pieces, 200 g pack
- One tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- Two onions, cut each of them into twelve wedges
- Two sliced and deseeded Romano peppers
- Coriander, stems finely chopped and leaves picked, small pack
- Two teaspoon ground cumin
- One teaspoon smoked paprika, hot
- Drained and rinsed kidney beans, 400 g can
- Cherry tomatoes, 400 g
- One tablespoon soft, dark brown sugar
- Eight wheat tortillas and corn
- Two limes
- For drizzling, extra virgin olive oil
- One sliced, peeled and stoned ripe avocado, large
- Soured cream and thick yogurt
- In a large frying pan heat the oil and add the peppers and onions. Cook on a high temperature until starting to char and tender, for about eight minutes and season. The next is to add the coriander stems cook for one minute while stirring. Then cook for two minutes more after you have seasoned it until fragrant. Don’t forget to stir!
- Tip in the sugar, tomatoes, beans and tofu. Cook until tofu is heated through and the sauce is dry, for five minutes. Following pack instructions, warm the tortillas. Squeeze of lime and add the coriander leaves. You should taste the sauce to decide whether you will need to season it more.
- Use the virgin olive oil to drizzle over and serve with soured cream or yogurt, avocado, lime halves and the tortillas. Enjoy this delicious meal!
5. Smoked Tofu With Puy Lentils
- Finely diced smoked tofu, 100 g
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Cooked Puy lentils, 25 g sachet
- 1 ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- One finely chopped red onion
- One sliced red pepper, medium roasted, 85 g
- Rocket or pea shoots, handful
- With three sprays of oil, spray a non-stick pan and add smoked paprika, tofu, and courgettes. To soften the courgettes cook for a couple of minutes and stir in the vinegar and allow to reduce and sizzle.
- Into a large bowl, tip the pepper, onion, and lentils. To break the clumps of lentil gently toss it. Toss again after you have added the courgettes and the tofu. The best part of this meal is that it will last for two days if you place it in the refrigerator. Before you serve it scatter over the rocket or peas shoots, whatever you prefer.
Smoking is an excellent way to add flavor to the tofu. You can marinate it before you smoke it or just pat a piece of it, place it in the good quality electric smoker and leave to cook for fifteen to thirty minutes. After that use some of these recipes to make a great meal for your family! Bon appetite!