For years now there has been a single dominant name in the automatic temperature controllers market – BBQ Guru. Other models like the Stoker, Pitmasters IQ range and of course Flame Boss have been good alternatives but never caught on quite like BBQ Gurus range. We expect that to change with the new Flame Boss 300.
Click to jump straight to each topic
- Flame Boss 300 vs CyberQ Cloud
- What’s Included with the Flame Boss 300
- Build Quality and Design
- Ease of Use
- How Well does the Flame Boss 300 Work?
- Overall Thoughts
- Flame Boss 300 vs CyberQ Cloud
- Flame boss 300 and 200 reviews – vs CyberQ Cloud – vs DigiQ BBQ
- Review of Flame Boss 300
- Check the review of flame boss 200:
- Feature of flame boss 200:
- Review of BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud
- Comparison of Flame boss 300 & 200 and CyberQ Cloud
- Review of DigiQ BBQ:
- Flame boss 300 and 200 vs DigiQ BBQ:
Flame Boss 300 vs CyberQ Cloud
What’s Included with the Flame Boss 300
- Flame Boss Controller
- 110-240 Volt AC Power Adapter
- Pit temperature probe
- Meat temperature probe
- Universal blower
- Manifold with blower adapter
- Fasteners to attach manifold
- Product manual
The adapters will differ depending on which version you buy. If you have a Kamado of any sort, such as the Kamado Joe, then the Kamado Smoker Controllerwill be the one for you.
If you have any other type of smoker, like a Weber Smokey Mountain, then get the Universal Smoker Controller.
Check customers review and detail product infomation on Amazon
Included are multiple high temperature probes that are rated up to 575°F. They worked very well in our experience and were precise and quick to adjust. With the use of some additional Y-cables and meat probes you’re able to use up to three meat probes and one pit probe at a time. This is a brilliant feature that allows you to cook several cuts of meat at once.
The Flame Boss has the clearest display of any temperature controllers we’ve tried. The screen can show food temperature, pit temperature, the chosen temperature, and the fan speed. It’s simple but easy to read and gives the data you want simply and efficiently. There’s not need to scroll through page after page to get the information you want.
Included with every Flame Boss 300 is the ability to view graphs of your cooks on an online dashboard. You can monitor pit and food temperature and change the temperature of your pit from your phone, tablet or computer. There’s also a feature that allows you to set the meat alarm to automatically turn down the pit temperature when your desired meat temperature is reached to keep food warm. All of this is available to any device that has a web browser. Accessing it through a web browser is brilliant as it allows you to access your data from virtually any modern smart device. If you prefer apps, then there is now an available iOS app that has even more features available.
It has an automatic learning PID controller. We’re not quite sure how the automatic learning part of it works, and still couldn’t figure out if it’s a gimmick or not. But Flame Boss claim that it learns how your smoker works for quicker and smoother temperature control. Since the Flame Boss 300 works so well we assume that this works how they claim, so we’ll go ahead and say it’s a very good feature.
The Flame Boss comes with a blower that is capable of variable speeds. This is a huge improvement over the blowers from other companies and helps the Flame Boss to keep such precise temperatures.
An open lid feature detects the sudden temperature drop from opening the lid and turns the fan off temporarily to avoid over-stoking the fire. This is a great feature that is unfortunately missing on cheaper models such as the BBQ Gurus PartyQ, but Flame Boss have you covered on this with their entire range.
There are a vast array of alarms and safety features to keep your cook as simple and safe as possible. The timer alarm reminds you when to perform the next step in your recipe. The meat temperature alarm will send alerts to your smartphone when your meat has reached the desired temperature. The pit temperature alarm will notify you if the temperature in the pit gets too hot or cold. There is also a power glitch save feature. This is where the set temperatures are saved in the controller even if the power is cut. So, if someone knocks the power cord and the Flame Boss turns off, you won’t lose all your data and when it’s plugged back in you’re able to pick up from where you left it.
Build Quality and Design
The build quality is generally fantastic. It’s made from a solid plastic that feels sturdy and solid. It includes a handy stand that is allows you to change the viewing angle and mount the Flame Boss in various locations. This feels solid and has a nice finish. The probes are the stand out feature here, though. They are made from an industrial duty platinum and can easily with stand the high temperatures and beatings from being used in Kamados or other smokers.
Overall, the design is fine. It’s not particularly good looking but it’s very practical and you can tell a lot of care and attention has been put into making it easy to use. The screen and the three buttons are very simple and allow anyone to work it with little trouble.
Ease of Use
The Flame Boss 300 features one mode. Automatic. You simply attach the blower, plug in the various probes and connectors, set your temperature and it’s ready to go. It really is that easy. The actual controller is fairly self-explanatory and only has three simple buttons so isn’t overwhelming you with hundreds of options and buttons. This is exactly how it should be and it works very well. If you can’t figure it out on your own the manual will explain everything.
Check customers review and detail product infomation on Amazon
How Well does the Flame Boss 300 Work?
All the fancy features and ease of use of the Flame Boss mean nothing if it can’t maintain a steady temperature. Luckily the Flame Boss works amazingly well and can hold any temperature you want it to for hours on end. A lot of this is due to the variable speed fan. The software and the fan working together can make very precise incremental increases or decreases to maintain the temperature you want. It’s brilliant being able to completely forget about it and let the technology do all the work.
The Flame Boss 300 is a brilliant piece of technology. It works better than expected and is super easy to use. We even grew to love the WiFi features and the graphing. Initially we thought this would be a bit of a gimmick but in time we found ourselves both gathering around the iPad to watch the temperatures. It’s ironic that this device is meant to reduce the time spent obsessing over what’s smoking, when in reality we think we’ve spent more time! I mean, look at all that data.
In all seriousness, if you’re looking for a way to vastly improve your smoking experience then we’d highly recommend picking up a Flame Boss 300. It is fairly expensive, generally it’s sold at over $300, but you have to think of it as an investment. It’ll save you a lot of time in the long run, especially if you’re doing a lot of smoking. And best of all you’ll have a brilliant new gadget to show off to all your friends.
The Flame Boss 300 performed equally as well on our list of the best automatic temperature controllers.
Flame Boss 300 vs CyberQ Cloud
For a long time, you’d simply go for the better known CyberQ. But then the Flame Boss 300 came out and gave BBQ Guru a scare because of how well it worked. So, BBQ Guru came back with the CyberQ Cloud and things got very interesting.
In all honestly, they work very, very similarly. You’re going to be getting a brilliant temperature controller either way, that will make your smoking so much easier that you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it. At the end of the day, it really depends on what you want from your automatic temperature controller as to which one we would recommend.
Here are a few differences.
The BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud wins on compatibility as it has a huge backlog of adapters for almost every smoker on the market. If you’re using a smaller brand smoker or even your own ugly drum smoker then the chances are that the CyberQ Cloud is going to work with it. But, Flame Boss’s universal adapter is said to work on a lot of other models so this is closer matched than first though.
However, if you like to share everything with all your friends then that is a lot easier on the CyberQ because of all the brand new social integration that BBQ Guru has included. It even has voice commands that work with Amazon Alexa.
Both temperature controllers manage to maintain very precise temperatures but we’ve found that the Flame Boss is slightly more consistent. This is probably due to the variable speed fan. You’ll be looking at a 1-3 degree variation from the desired temperature for both controllers, which is a minuscule difference.
The Flame Boss 300 wins on price. It is generally around $30-40 dollars cheaper depending on where you buy it from.
Check customers review and detail product infomation on Amazon
Overall, whichever you end up buying you’ll be getting a brilliant product, but if you want a straight answer as to which we would recommend, it’d be the Flame Boss 300.
Flame boss 300 and 200 reviews – vs CyberQ Cloud – vs DigiQ BBQ
Most of you have horrible experience of smoking when the temperature is not consistent during the smoking process. Plenty of aspects can modify the temperature such as external air temperature, diminishing charcoal, quality of smoker, and much more. Do you wish to have stable control of the temperature of the indoor oven outdoors in the smoker? If so, then you can. Yes, automatic temperature controllers will help you to do so and they are available for both smokers and BBQs, which manage temperature of both food and put throughout the cooking process. Here, you will get a product review and comparison of top 4 models from 2 manufacturers.
Review of Flame Boss 300
The flame boss 300 is the new flagship from the flame boss, which gives tough competition to the BBQ’s flagships. At the first glance, its wide stand offers it a solid appeal. With this, you can do your job when you are elsewhere as it is not going anywhere.
Since it is held by the stable stand, it lets automatic temperature controller to be tiled up/down for the first reading. Additionally, the stand has holes to attach it to the surface permanent if you need. It comes along with a green LED screen to display the important information, which you have to know.
Using its push buttons, you can easily move through the menu and then adjust settings. You will really like how the plugs designed to swing back & down and therefore, it minimizes the risk of damaging the plugs. On the whole, it is a solid and competent looking machine.
Features and functionality of Flame Boss 300
Based on the flame boss 300 reviews, following mentioned are highly important and beneficial features of the Flame Boss 300. You can able to access all these features through the web browser or even via mobile apps.
- Has multiple high-temperature probes, which are rated up to 575 degrees Fahrenheit and they are very easy & quick to adjust
- Even use additional y-cables and meat probes to cook many meat cuts at once
- flame boss 300 universal smoker controller has LCD display, which shows food temperature, chosen temperature, pit temperature, and fan speed
- Has the ability to view graphs of the cooks on the online dashboard
- Monitor/change food and pit temperature from your phone or computer
- New meat/pit alarm feature helps you know how to set the meat temp on a flame boss 300
- Has an automatic learning PID controller
- Comes with the blower, which is capable of the variable speeds
- Has open lid feature to detect a sudden drop in temperature and turn off the fan to avoid fire over-stoking
- Come with many safety and alarms features
- Also, have power glitch save feature and an option to connect to Amazon Alexa
- Most importantly, the option of the flame boss 300 wifi is easily accessible
- Speedy set up
- Availability of complete flame boss 300 manual
- Simple and amazing design
- Amazing variable fan speed
- Intense temperature consistency
- Sensible stand and power cord arrangement
- The device probes are less powerful
- Need to purchase extra probes to monitor multiple meat cuts
- Quite expensive
Check the review of flame boss 200:
The BBQ temperature controller gains immense popularity among the people in these days for the cooking process. The flame boss is the high tech products that beneficial for the cooking process. The users buy the suitable flame boss for the cooking convenience. It is ideally designed for the smoke control purpose. It is easy to use products that best for the smoker or grill. It is the perfect choice for the homeowners to manage the smoker and grill. It is designed with the high-quality materials. Before going to buy it, you can check the review and rating of the BBQ products.
In order to utilize it, you make the proper connection. You can follow the installation guide to install the temperature controller. It is designed with the interfaces like wifi, mobile, and tablet. It is designed with the high end features. It has the wifi enabled option that one can watch and monitor cook from the required devices. It avoids over stoking fire. It is equipped with the meat temperature alarm that sends the notification once the cooking is finished. The users consider the difference between flame boss 200 and 300. Both of them have different features. It offers convenient features to the users. This one keeps up the automatic mode.
Feature of flame boss 200:
The users can enjoy the variety of benefits with the temperature controller. The people opt to buy this buy for various reasons. You can get it to control the temperature. It is a simple device that offered by the well-known company.
- It is simple to use and plug to the grill or smoker.
- It makes use of the best probes to prevent the device from the bad temperature and moisture. There are two temperature probes present in the flame 200.
- It provides the ideal reading within the smoker and temperature of the meat. You can ensure the versatile stand to alter the optimal viewing angle.
- The device is running continuously at the save set temperature even when the power comes back with the support of the power glitch safe.
- You can manage the food warm after cooking and the device automatically minimizes the pit temperature for this concern.
- The timer alarms help you to perform next step in the food items. You can check the price of the product
- It gives the accurate temperature result to the user and sends the information very quickly.
- It keeps up the LCD display and you set up the necessary setting for the grill and smoker.
- It manages the different speed blower that performs at the best speed.
- The users connect it through the phone or tablet for their convenience.
- It contains automatic learning PID controller that automatically gains the smoker and handle the temperature control in a smooth way.
- The users enjoy the features of pit temperature, meat temperature, current blower speed and others.
- Sometimes, it cannot work well with the targeted temperature due to the power problem.
- The users observe the slow response of the device because of lowering the targeted temperature.
- The price of the product is too high.
Review of BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud
BBQ Guru is one of the top brand automatic temperature controller manufacturers in the ground. They have huge varieties of products right from the lower-end model such as PartyQ to most popular model, DigiQ. Obviously, CyberQ is the high-end model of the BBQ. The latest mode in the series of CyberQ is the CyberQ Cloud.
At the first impression, the device is mixed and it does not appear like a serious temperature controller. Its color and size make it difficult to monitor the settings quickly. When you take a closer look, only two settings will be visible for the first time. It is designed as the cloud-based tool.
With its Wi-Fi capability, you will remotely monitor the food and pit through any internet connection enabled devices such as a tablet, phone, or computer. If you purchase this device, you will get a controller, carrying case, two probes, one pit & food, pit viper fan, and Weber Smokey mountain cooker adapter.
Features of the BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud
- It manages temperatures from 32 to 457 degree Fahrenheit for multiple cooking styles
- Comes with stainless steel probes that are tipped with smoke-resistant and moisture thermocouples
- It is Wi-Fi capable so that you can set up with the IP address and monitor from home via the web-based device
- It is also designed for access to the BBQ Guru Community website that not only lets cook and picture sharing but also let you monitor and graph three goods in a single cooking session and makes Additionally, you can store cooking sessions
- For tech-savvy, it has Amazon Alexa integration to provide management via voice control if it is connected to Amazon Alexa
- It comes along with open lid detector feature and ramps down feature to prevent overcooking
- If the temperature differs from the default, the device sounds the alarm
- When the device receives command through Wi-Fi, backlight blinks
- Comes with the new and more powerful processor, and increased memory in order to delivery several features
- It regulates your smoker temperature automatically and constantly
- It has two probes (one to measure heat inside the food while other to measure the temperature inside the smoker)
- An array of features available
- Excellent performance
- Makes cooking on the charcoal quite easier than pellet smoker
- Adjust relaying temperature through voice command
- Amazing and speedy setup
- No alert to power failure
- Some user reports of unreliable probes
- Fan output is not graphed or recorded
- To avoid sticking, damper required to be cleaned right after use
Comparison of Flame boss 300 & 200 and CyberQ Cloud
When you compare new flame boss model 300 and flame boss 200 with BBQ CyberQ cloud, you will notice only a few differences because both models almost have similar functions and features. They both can able to handle up to 4 probes and have Wi-Fi integration. They both have the capability to keep the temperature very steady. Below-mentioned is some of the few differences between the flame boss 300 & 200 and CyberQ cloud.
While speaking about compatibility, CyberQ cloud wins because it has a wide backlog of adapters for each smoker on the market. This device works well with a smaller brand smoker but flame boss 300 for weber smokey mountain works well on various other models. Thus, it is not a clean win.
Do you wish to share everything with your friends? It is quite easier on the BBQ CyberQ as it has new social integration with sharemycook.com. It is not highly possible with the Flame Boss models. Now, you can get your automatic temperature controllers that are connected to Wi-Fi much easier than ever.
You will find the entire cooking process for the Flame Boss to be simpler and quicker but BBQ CyberQ Clouds process is not hard by any means. It is almost easy but you need to do a bit more when compared to Flame Boss models. It is because there are lots of features available if you are online.
Both models temperature controllers able to maintain temperature very precise but it is slightly more consistent with the Flame Boss. Even though the difference is barely noticeable, BBQ CyberQ Cloud still works well. If you do some extra research, you will probably find that Flame Boss is cheaper because the CyberQ is the brand new.
Review of DigiQ BBQ:
It is the mid range temperature controller from the BBQ. It is the highly selling temperature controller in these days. This is so popular for the fine features and build quality attract the buyers. This is worth for the investment that acts as a good alternative. It is best for the small and medium range cookers. The users make a close look at the features of the temperature controller. At the buying time, the buyers take some necessary things like digiQ DX2 controller, 100 – 240v AC supply, temperature probe, grill adaptor, recipe book and others. You can know the features to buy the temperature controller.
It has the ideal temperature swings that manage the common problems in a simple manner. It comes up with the high precision digital food thermometer that watches food temperature. It alerts you to make the food. With the cooking temperature and food ready alert, you get the food items tender and delicious.
Features of DigiQ BBQ:
When it comes to buying the temperature controller, you can check the features of the products. The manufacturer designs this one with the complete range of the features. This is available in different forms in the market today. It holds enough number of features that beneficial for the buyers.
- The control box is featured with the high intensity screen.
- The display uses the Led technology that best for bright sunlight.
- It manages the two probes. One probe fits at the end which used for calculating the temperature.
- Another one is food probe that put at the piece of the meat.
- It is designed with the built in alarms. It is simple to cover the smoking temperature.
- You can enjoy the adjustable features of the sound intensity in the alarm.
- The users are capable to change the Celsius and Fahrenheit in the temperature controller.
- It maintains the complete adaptive control algorithm. This one immediately recovers the grill to the cooking temperature.
- It is fixed with the open lid detection system.
You can ensure the above features of the product and then go to buy the suitable for your needs. You can refer someone for buying this one. On the other hand, you can access the buying guide to get the suitable temperature controller for the cooking purpose. You can buy it from the right store. It is important to buy the branded one that contains the necessary features. The BBQ products provide the ideal advantage to the buyers. The buyers take pleasure from the features of the BBQ product.
- It works well for the user needs and provides the details information to them.
- It has the best build quality and design that attract the people.
- It is easy to use and setup and accesses through the mobile and other devices.
- There is a problem with wifi interface
- It is quite difficult to stay at anytime
Flame boss 300 and 200 vs DigiQ BBQ:
It is the right concern for the users to compare the flame boss 300, 200 and DigiQ BBQ. The flame boss 300 and 200 has same features. The users concern the flame boss 300 vs 200 for the purpose of buying the suitable one that fit for their budget. The flame boss 300 has the multiple temperatures probe that uses for the different cooking condition. It is the excellent feature of the flame boss 300. On the other hand, flame boss 200 has two temperature probes. The flame boss produces different products with the different features. The flame boss 300 and 200 has the wifi capable option and allow the users to maintain the distance with any type of network.
The digiQ BBQ maintains two probes too. Each of them requires different features that beneficial for the buyers. It is not only watching the pit temperature and also manages the meat temperature. The users make a close look at the flame boss 300 vs bbq guru. It perfectly carries the line of smoker and grills in a simple way.