What is the best meat slicer? Read our review and buyer’s guide to find out. Having paper-thin slices of meat is possible if you have a meat slicer. Whether you’re a commercial chef or a complete newbie, owning a meat slicer allows you to control the size of meat slices without much effort.
In this best meat slicer review, we will discuss the pros and cons of the different types of meat slicers available on the market. We will also be looking into the considerations in picking a good meat slicer and some of the best meat slicer model reviews.
Click to jump straight to each topic
- What’s Best Meat Slicer For You?
- Type of Meat Slicers
- Top 7 Best Meat Slicer Reviews
- 1. Chef’s Choice 610″ Electric Food Slicer
- 2. Chef’s Choice 615 Electric Food Slicer
- 3. BESWOOD 10″ Premium Electric Food Slicer
- 4. Chef’s Choice 609 Electric Food Slicer
- 5. Nesco FS-250 Home Meat Slicer
- 6. Elite Gourmet EMT-503B – The Best Cheap Food Slicer
- 7. VEVOR 10″ Blade Best Choice Commercial Deli Home Meat Slicer
- Our Pick for the Best Meat Slicer
- Considerations Before Shopping for a Meat Slicer
- Advantages of Owning Meat Slicer
- The Cons
- How to Sharpen Meat Slicer Blade
- How to Clean a Meat Slicer
- Final Review of the Best Meat Slicer
What’s Best Meat Slicer For You?
Do you love deli sandwiches, piled with paper-thin slices of ham, turkey, or cheese?
When investing your money in buying a meat slicer, consider your requirements. Meat slicers come with different features to slice meat, vegetables, and cheese, so choose a meat slicer machine that meets your needs.
Entry-level meat slicers have a lower price tag but lack some features. On the other hand, heavy-duty models are priced slightly higher but come with additional usability and safety features. Depending on usage, you can choose between an economical option and a high-end product.
If you slice meats and other food items regularly, it’s recommended to go for a well-known brand. The meat slicer machine will most likely be durable and will last longer. Plus, any parts that break can easily be replaced with spare parts from the manufacturer.
Type of Meat Slicers
First, you need to determine what food items you’re going slice. Will you be using it for meat, cheese, or vegetables? Are you going to use it regularly or occasionally?
Although entry-level slicers are useful when used occasionally, mid-level slicers have more power and features. Premium slicers are usually for commercial use.
Premium meat slicer models can be costly, you will be getting a good quality meat slicing machine with top-notch safety features. Although a cheap meat slicer can get the job done, it may not have all the safety and usability features of more expensive brands.
Entry-level meat slicers are suitable for occasional use. Cheap meat slicers have limited usage and can’t run for more than 30 minutes in one go. It’s because they usually come with a weak motor which can burn out quickly.
Mid-grade slicers have a powerful motor, larger blades, and enhanced functionality. You can use them to slice anything from meat to vegetables. However, slicing cheese is not recommended. But if you’re slicing meats for smoking, mid-grade slicers is well-suited for the job.
Premium-grade meat slicers come with a powerful motor, larger blades, are built to last, and come with a longer warranty. They can slice anything easily (including cheese). While they’re expensive, a longer service life, better performance, and other features compensate for the high cost.
Top 7 Best Meat Slicer Reviews
If you’re searching for a premium gear-driven slicer, get your hands on the Chef’s Choice 610 electric food slicer. Equipped with a reliable and powerful electric motor, this meat slicer is versatile and, easy to use and clean.
It has a large-capacity food carriage (which can easily be retracted) that allow you to slice extra-large roasts, hams, and other food items. It also comes with precision control that will allow you to slice foods from deli-thin to about ¾-inch thick slices. The food carriage has a tilted and cantilever design for fast and efficient slicing.
Additionally, this Chef’s Choice meat slicer has a food pusher, food deflector, thickness guide, and multi-purpose stainless steel blade. Other features of this amazing meat slicer include convenient cord storage and a serving tray.
- The components are easy to clean
- It is equipped with a powerful motor
- Durable, thanks to its aluminum and stainless steel design
- Slightly noisy when in operation
- Heavier compared to other food slicers
A high-performance meat slicer designed for high power and smooth operation, the Chef’s Choice 615 is a great meat slicer for both home and professional use. The multi-purpose 7-inch stainless steel blade will allow you to slice a variety of foods with ease.
This meat slicer machine allows you to slice deli-thin meats to about 3/4-inches thick slices. It’s easy to slice meat and other food items precisely.
It has a tilted food carriage that improves slicing efficiency. The food carriage is huge and retractable and provides added convenience to slice extra-large food with ease.
This powerful meat slicer has120 watts of power, constructed with torque motor, and has a smooth gear drive for steady slicing operation.
- Made of stainless steel and aluminum
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- Easy to carry around
- The meat holder is made of plastic
BESWOOD is one of the best meat slicers for commercial use. It is a high-quality slicer that looks and feels amazing. It is also suitable to be used both as a commercial meat slicer or a home meat slicer. There’s nothing that can hold back this massive meat slicer.
It is equipped with a 10-inch carbon chromium plated steel blade. It is a powerful slicer that doesn’t rust and will stay sharp for an extended period of time.
Furthermore, it comes with a top-mounted, two-stone sharpening whetstones that ensure the blades remain sharp.
The motor is tucked inside the body, helping to keep it silent. The sharp blades and powerful motor can easily cut vegetables, fruits, ham, cheese, and meats into neat, thin slices. You can use this electric meat slicer in your restaurant, café, or home kitchen.
- Comes with a 240-watt powerful motor
- Strong and durable
- Chromium-plated steel blades are anti-rust and durable
- This machine operates silently
- It is a bit heavy
This is another top-performing food slicer from Chef’s Choice. The 609 features a cool-running motor that won’t overheat due to prolonged use. It also has a fuse in the base which prevents the motor from overheating. In addition, this slicer has a locking mechanism that keeps the blade protected between slicing tasks.
When it comes to design, the Chef’s Choice 609 uses die-cast aluminum and stainless steel for almost all components, including the food pusher. This component is usually made of plastic in other models.
The dimensions of this food slicer are 15 by 10.5 by 10.8 inches and weigh about 8.53 pounds.
Like the Chef’s Choice 615, this model comes with a serving tray but is more affordable when compared to the former. But, the 7-inch serrated blade is smaller than what is found in other high-end models. The good thing is, it can still chop various sizes of meat, ranging from 3/4-inch steaks to deli-thin meats. Also, it can slice other types of food such as vegetables, bread, and cheese.
All its parts: pusher, carriage, and deflector are easy to disassemble and clean. We find the reassembling process to be safe, thus making the Chef’s Choice 609 a suitable slicer both for home and outdoor use. Although it’s not necessary to remove the blade after use, regular cleaning would be ideal.
- Sizable food carriage
- Built-in thickness guide
- Overheating and surge protection safety fuse
- Lightweight and easy to clean
- Tends to be messy and uneven
- Comes with a serrated blade, instead of a smooth one
Nesco FS-250 slicer is one of the top-quality models that made it to our meat slicer reviews. It features a powerful motor and has a larger blade than other brands. Basically, it’s a bridge between home use and a professional-grade food slicer.
This 180-watt model is suitable for people who prefer a full stainless steel slicer. Other features include a dual safety mechanism and flexible thickness control knob. But, if you want thin slices, this may not be the ideal machine for you.
The slicer weighs 13.2 pounds, It measures 15 x 10.5 x 11 inches. The good thing is, its weight provides stability during slicing but is still light enough to carry around when needed.
The blade size is 8.7 inches (as advertised). However, according to some users, the actual blade size is only 7.5 inches. Although its large blade has serrated edges that improve efficiency when cutting through bread and meat, it can be difficult to sharpen when necessary. The primary complaint about this machine is that it’s not super fast or powerful as perceived.
That said, most users have a positive opinion about this food slicer. Many consumers like Nesco FS-250 because it’s lightweight, can slice all types of food, easy to clean, and is relatively inexpensive. Plus, it is easy to detach or reassemble the blade. Also, some owners like the heavy and sharp blade. They find it useful in a home setting. If you’re searching for the best home meat slicer, this product is a good option.
- Its blade is heavy and sharp
- Easy to detach, clean, and assemble
- Provides great value considering its price
- Functions smoothly
- Not suitable if you often need thin slices
- It is not super fast as perceived
This product is one of the best meat slicers that has an affordable price. With its features, you’re going to get value for money. It’s the lowest priced model among the meat slicer review contenders on our list and can easily be the best budget buy for you.
With the Elite Maxi-Matic EMT-503B, you can cut meats, salamis, hard cheese, bread, and vegetables precisely. It’s capable of slicing from razor-thin thickness up to 1/2 inches.
This model is powered by a 130-watt motor. It also has a 7.5-inch retractable stainless steel blade, die-cast aluminum construction, and easy to use design. The large slicing platform and its rubber feet offer the necessary stability. This machine measures 11 x 9 x 15 inches. It weighs 12 pounds.
Another great attribute of the Elite Maxi-Matic EMT-503B is safety. It has a safety guide to prevent you from touching the sharp blade when slicing. Also, it has 4 anti-skid feet for additional stability when the device is in use.
Besides these safety features, this model also comes with an adjustable thickness dial that will allow you to slice foods to the desired thickness. Slice meat up to ½ inch thick. This deli meat slicer can also slice hard cheese, bread, and firm vegetables. You can consider this product if you’re looking for a cheap meat slicer.
- Lightweight; weighs only 12 pounds
- It is affordably priced
- Retractable 7.5-inch serrated blade
- Adjustable thickness dial
- Not intended for bulk processing
- Complaints about the device being too slow
- Doesn’t work well with sticky foods
The VEVOR commercial meat slicer is a great slicer machine for meat, cheese, fruits, bread, vegetables, etc. Equipped with a 240-watt electric motor, a blade sharpener and tilt feature, this machine provides a fast slicing experience.
This electric meat slicer is made of high-quality and durable steel. It has a heavy-duty 10-inch stainless steel blade, designed to resist corrosion and to maintain a sharp edge. In addition, it has built-in whetstones for sharpening the stainless blade.
For extra protection, the feet of the slicer is covered with skid-proof rubber. Likewise, the on/off switch is covered with waterproof material.
Still another desirable feature: a numerical scale knob that allows users to adjust the plate to the desired thickness. This machine can slice meats from 0 to 17 mm thick.
This commercial slicer is semi-automatic, thanks to the on-off switch that make it easy to use. Cleaning is just as easy. You only need a bottle brush and warm soapy water to clean the disassembled parts.
It’s slightly larger and heavier than other top models. It measures 23 x 19.3 x 8.3 inches and weighs 46.9 pounds. The VEVOR meat slicer is among the most expensive here in our meat slicer reviews. However, considering the VEVOR commercial meat slicer’s performance level, durability, and ease of use, it is worth the investment.
- Powerful motor
- Built-in dual whetstones to sharpen blade easily
- Adjustable numerical knob
- Semi-automatic feature
- A bit heavy
- Relatively expensive
- Not that easy to clean when compared to other meat slicers
Our Pick for the Best Meat Slicer
We go through lots of products at Amazon and also study the ratings by buyers to determine the best meat slicer for you. Additionally, we also calculate the overall net customer satisfaction (NCS) grade because we want to know how satisfied the previous buyers were with their purchase of the product.
From our findings, we can say that Chef’s Choice and BESWOOD are the best meat slicer brands. They are very popular and received excellent ratings for their products.
In particular, the Chef’s Choice 610 Food Slicer, BESWOOD Electric Meat and Cheese Food Slicer, and Chef’s Choice 615 Food Slicer have excellent ratings and NCS grade compared to the rest. We strongly believe that you’ll find these best meat slicer brands a good buy too.
Considerations Before Shopping for a Meat Slicer
What to consider when buying a meat slicer? Take note of the following:
The size of the blade
The blade size is one main factor to consider when choosing an electric meat slicer. Entry-level slicers usually come with a 7-inch blade, while mid-grade slicers are equipped with a 9-inch blade.
Premium slicers have the largest blades, 14-inch in size. It’s important to note that average users usually go for the mid-grade models.
If you’re going to use the slicer to slice raw meat on a regular basis, don’t consider a machine with a 240-watt motor or less. Instead, choose a more powerful slicer if you’re going to use it often.
Food tray size
Meat slicers usually come with a product tray that can hold items ranging from 7 ½ inches to 12 inches in diameter. However, if you want to slice meats larger than 12 inches, make sure to choose a slicer that can accommodate such sizes.
Automatic vs. manual
A meat slicer machine makes it easy to slice meat according to various thicknesses. While an automatic meat slicer is convenient to use for slicing a large amount of product, a manual meat slicer will take more time and effort.
On the other hand, you can use automatic slicers manually. Hence, the main factor to consider here is the amount of slicing you have to do.
Price also plays a major role in choosing the best meat slicer. While entry-level slicers are available for a hundred dollars or less, premium-grade meat slicer machines will cost three times as much.
Advantages of Owning Meat Slicer
Saves you money
If you love sliced meats or cheese, buying them in the supermarket will cost you more than slicing blocks of meat or cheese at home. Yes, owning a meat slicer will save you money in the long-term.
Time and effort saver
Automatic meat slicers reduce work to half, as they easily slice meat to the desired thickness. Just set the thickness that you want, and the slicer will cut the meat automatically with a press of a button. No need to slice over and over again with a slicing knife.
Reduces leftover food
With a meat slicer in your home, you can slice the exact amount of meat. Therefore, there would be no leftover sliced meats to deal with.
Slice paper-thin meat easily
Meat slicers are not only great for slicing meats, but they’re also the best meat slicer for jerky. These slicers can cut thin slices of beef jerky for everybody to enjoy.
If you own a food dehydrator, making delicious jerky is so much easier. Check out the best food dehydrator in this post.
While there are advantages, there are also some disadvantages.
If you’re investing in an entry-level meat slicer, you might be disappointed. In order to slice paper-thin slices of meat with less effort, the motor must be high efficiency. However, this is not usually found in economical models.
A meat slicer must be cleaned after every use. If not, parts such as the meat holder and serving tray will be perfect places for bacterial growth. Moreover, meat fats can stain the machine if not removed. Although cleaning a meat slicer is a chore, you can pick one that is dishwasher safe for easier wash and clean.
How to Sharpen Meat Slicer Blade
A meat slicer blade usually becomes dull after being used for some time. To bring it to its original state, you need to sharpen the blade. Here are the steps on how to sharpen the meat slicer blade:
- Turn off and unplug your meat slicer.
- Remove the blade cover. Clean blade with a soft cloth, mild detergent (such as dishwashing liquid), and water. Important: don’t submerge the meat slicer machine in water. Wipe the blade with a clean cloth.
- Apply sharpening oil or cooking oil or to the blade surface.
- Some meat slicers have built-in sharpening stones. If your meat slicer doesn’t have one, you can buy from your local hardware store. Just make sure that the sharpening stone you’re buying is compatible with your meat slicer.
- Place the sharpening stones securely on your meat slicer. If your meat slicer has built-in sharpening stones, read the user’s manual to know how to attach them.
- Find the locking knob of the meat slicer. Usually, the knob is on the left when you’re facing the machine. Check the base shaft. Unscrew the locking knob from the shaft. Lock the sharpening stones and blade in place. Insert the sharpening stones at the meat slicer base shaft. Put the blade on the sharpening stones. Then, tighten the locking knob. If you hear a click, it means the knob is already tight.
- Plug in the meat slicer. Turn it on and let the blade to sharpen for about 30 seconds. Turn the sharpener off for 4 seconds then turn it back for another 30 seconds. Repeat this 3 times. Turn the meat slicer machine off. Check if the blade is sharp enough. If it struggles to smoothly cut a tomato, then it isn’t sharp enough. You may need to turn it on again and let it sharpen.
- Once the blade is sharp, remove the stone. Unscrew the knob and slide the stones off the blade. Tighten the sharpener knob back into place after you remove the sharpening stone.
- Before using the blade, you have to clean it. For this, you can use detergent and water or rubbing alcohol. This is to remove any metallic particles produced as you were sharpening the blade.
How to Clean a Meat Slicer
While a commercial or home meat slicer is useful for slicing meat and other foods quickly, it can harbor bacteria if not kept clean. Also, both types of slicers can injure your hand if they become jammed due to improper cleaning or maintenance. To keep you meat slicer clean, follow the guidelines below.
- Disconnect your meat slicer from the power source. Set the blade setting to zero.
- Pour warm water in a one-gallon bucket (half full). Add one cup of bleach then immerse a cleaning cloth into the water. Squeeze the cleaning cloth to get rid of excess sanitizing solution.
- Wear cut-resistant gloves. Remove all the cutting accessories from the slicer. Using a clean piece of cloth, take out pieces of meat or cheese from the slicer. Then, unscrew the blade cover.
- Fill the sink with warm water. Add 3 squirts of dish detergent into the water. Mix the solution to create bubbles.
- Following the instructions in the meat slicer manual, wash the parts that came into contact with food. Wash both sides of the blade using circular wiping motion (start from the center then outwards).
- Use warm water to rinse the detergent from the slicer. Then, apply a bleach solution and allow it to dry. Next, apply a coat of cooking oil into the slicing blade.
- When the meat slicer machine is already dry, reassemble the parts. Do this as soon as possible to prevent any injuries from the exposed blade.
- Remove the meat slicer from the countertop. Use a clean cloth to clean the countertop then put the machine back in.
- To prevent injuries, make sure the electric meat slicer is turned off before plugging it in.
Final Review of the Best Meat Slicer
The best meat slicers for home use make it easy and simple to cut deli-thin slices with minimal effort. The good news is, you do not have to spend a fortune to buy the best meat slicer.
All models featured above are good quality meat slicers and have many satisfied buyers. Best of all, they’re priced reasonably. Choosing any of these brands will get the job done well. We’ve vetted all these meat slicer machines so you can buy with confidence!
There you have it. Our reviews have provided some helpful information on meat slicers. Hopefully, this can help you choose the best meat slicer that is suitable for you.