Electric smoker become popular for years now because it is convenient to cook something like meats and vegetables, fish, etc. Using the smoke from a controlled source of heat. This can the foods an entirely unique flavor which many people find it’s terribly awesome.
Do you ever desire to get an best electric smoker? If yes, then it’s time for you to choose which one would you like to have. There are several different companies out there makes you believe that their product/brand is the best, but how would you know which is the best one? Well, you’ll figure out of the product can be recommended or not based on its quality level and customers feedbacks. Now, let’s take a look.
Table of Contents
Best Electric Smokers On The Market
The reasons to buy an electric smoker
Are you “this close” to buying an best electric smoker? But there is just that little voice in your head that makes you unsure?
Die hard charcoal smoker fans may have their opinions about the “inferiority” of electric smokers. If you mention electric smokers, common objections include “they don’t produce a smoke ring” or that they don’t produce an “authentic barbecue” taste.
That’s highly subjective and mostly due to good old fashioned barbecue prejudice. There are lots of good reasons to consider buying an electric smoker. Especially if you are new to smoking, then an electric smoker could be the right choice for you.
We have put together five reasons we think electric smokers are a great choice.
1) Electric Smokers Are Perfect For Beginners
If this is the first smoker you are buying, then ease of use is an important factor. Let’s be honest, if a task seems so complicated that you start to feel you need a science degree to succeed, then you may just give up.
The truth is, if you can use an electric oven, you can use an electric smoker.
Electric smokers can be set to the desired temperature, and the desired length of time you wish to smoke.
And the results are hugely satisfying.
After you have become more familiar with the smoking process, you may decide to move on to a more authentic type of smoker. Or, you may decide that electric smokers are just right for you, and stick with them (perhaps upgrading to a bigger or more expensive unit).
Whatever you decide to do, the fact remains purchasing an electric smoker is a great way to start smoking, and learn some basic techniques before deciding what direction you wish to take.
Electric smokers are cheaper than most other types of smokers. And I’m not talking in terms of initial price tag alone, I’m talking about long-term value for money.
Both electric smokers and pellet grills offer “set and forget” convenience. So we decided to put one of each type head to head and check out some relevant stats.
The Masterbuilt 30” Digital Electric Smoker has 4 food racks. In other words, this smoker can smoke 6 chickens in one go. Or 8 racks of ribs. Or 4 pork butts. I could go on, but you get the idea. You will find these units are surprisingly affordable for the amount of food they can pump out.
Compare those figures to the Traeger Lil Tex Elite Wood Pellet Grill. This pellet grill can cook 4 chickens, or 4 racks of ribs in one go, which is not a bad effort. But when you consider that the price tag is around 3x the price of the Masterbuilt, the electric cooker starts to look a little more appealing.
I’m no financial advisor, but let’s imagine you saved roughly $500 on the purchase price of your cooker. Just think about the accessories, rubs, sauces and juicy cuts of meat you could buy with that money.
For instance, a useful and inexpensive accessory for electric smokers is a pellet smoking tray, like the A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker. For those that claim you can’t create an authentic smoked flavor from an electric smoker, I challenge them to taste something that has been smoked using an electric smoker in conjunction with this handy accessory.
3) Easy to Run
When you take out the need to light charcoal, control airflow, and understand the nuances of temperature spikes, you are left with plenty of time and ‘brain space’ to focus on rubs, brines, sauces and sides.
Generally speaking, to run your electric smoker, all that is required is to fill the water tray, throw in your chips, plug in the unit, adjust your settings, allow it time to reach temperature, and then add the food.
Of course, you may decide to use an accessory such as the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker to create thin blue smoke, and take the flavor of your food to the next level. But lighting up the pellets in the pellet smoker tray and placing them in the electric smoker hardly turns using an electric smoker into an arduous task.
4) Can Smoke In Areas With a Fire Ban
Imagine sitting out on your deck with your friends. It is a balmy summer evening, and you are all chowing down on some saucy ribs you just pulled out of the smoker while knocking back a few beers.
Only issue is, summer is the most likely time in the year that a fire ban will be imposed.
Unfortunately in some states, if you have a charcoal burner, you can forget about smoking in a fire ban. Laws differ from state to state, so it is worth a quick check, but there is usually never a problem if you use an electric smoker.
Fire bans aside, if you live in an apartment or unit, smoking with a charcoal burner may not be allowed. Knowing this, you may have counted out barbecuing at your place. Up until now. An electric smoker may be the perfect solution. In fact, it might be your only option.
5) Easy to Cold Smoke On
If you are interested in smoking different types of food, then electric smokers offer great versatility.
For instance, you can easily cold smoke bacon or cheese using an electric smoker. It is also possible to prepare dried meats, meat logs and loaves, fish, sausages and even desserts in an electric smoker.
It is true, other types of smokers can also be modified for cold smoking, but it often will include a fair bit of DIY and dedication. However, you can easily purchase cold smoker attachments which are compatible with your brand of electric smoker, and they usually won’t set you back a great deal.
Reasons an Electric Smoker Might Not Be for You
We always strive to be up front with our readers, so we couldn’t end this post without mentioning a couple of points that might be deal breakers for you.
Lack of a Smoke Ring
The smoke ring is the pink coloration just below the surface of the meat. It is a distinctive marker of a southern barbecue, and as such, many pitmasters take much pride in slicing open their brisket to find one.
Without going into a lot of detail, there are two things you need to know about the smoke ring which may weigh in on your decision regarding buying an electric smoker.
- Smoke rings appear when the chemical released during the combustion process react with chemicals in the meat. Even if you place chips, pellets or chunks in your electric smoker, the temperature at which the wood smolders is not high enough to release the chemicals required to create the smoke ring.
- A smoke ring looks impressive, yes, but it does not actually impact the taste of the meat. So if taste, and not looks, is of paramount importance to you, the lack of a smoke ring may not be so much of an issue.
By using accessories such as the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker tray when you smoke in your electric smoker, you can be sure that taste will not be compromised.
Parts Can Break Down
I’m afraid a backyard repair job will not cut it if your electric smoker breaks down.
Electric smokers are inherently more complicated and technical than more “old school” smokers. This complexity is part of the reason why they are convenient and easy to use.
This means that there are more parts that could break down. Unfortunately, repairing or replacing these specialist parts can be expensive, and they may need to be installed by a professional.
As their very name indicates, electric smokers require power to work. So chucking your electric smoker in the trunk of your car and taking off into the woods for a weekend of whiskey and brisket isn’t really an option.
You will also need to consider where to place your electric smoker. If you had a spot on your deck in mind, for example, remember that if there isn’t already a power outlet in place, you may need to call out an electrician to install one.
Having said that, pellet grills also come with this limitation as they also need to be plugged in. The convenience these newer types of smokers offer is bound to come with some kind of compromise.
Wrapping it up
We hope you have found our wrap up on why you should buy an electric smoker helpful.
At times, much is made of electric smokers not being “authentic”, but we think they are particularly well suited for beginners, for those who are short on time, or for those who want to feed an army but don’t want to compromise on taste. And if you can live without smoke rings, the truth is that electric smokers can produce results that will not disappoint.
If you enjoyed this article, please share it. And if you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below.
Top 10 Electric Smokers Reviews
Being fanatical about smoked food we have researched the best electric smokers that are on the market at this moment in time. We come up with a list of the ten we think are the best and tell you why.
1. Masterbuilt 20078715 Electric Digital Smoker Front Controller
Easy to use
- If you are new to smoking, you can jum right in to it with this model.
- The Masterbuilt 20078715 Electric Digital Smoker allows you to set the internal temperature to the exact degree, and the smoker will do the work of maintaining it.
- This model is about the size of a mini refrigerator. 721 sq. inch of cooking space with four chrome-coated racks.
- You can still make a good amount of food with this item.
Wood Chip Loader
- This brand of Smoker has a wood chip loader.
- You can add more wood chips in the smoker without opening the door.
- Leaving the door closed keeps the temperature stable and uses less power.
- Customers who have purchased this product are raving about how well it’s insulated.
- No heat leaks out while using it.
- Can control the thermostat temperature from 100-275oF and can be maintained even during cold weather.
- Maximum temperature of 275o
- It does not have a viewing window so you won’t be able to watch the food inside of it.
- Based on some customers, it takes a while to cook when trying to put a large quantity of meat.
- For a big a mount of food, it will turn out unevenly cooked.
- 90 days warranty only.
- Additional fee for warranty extension.
2. Char-Broil Vertical Electric Smoker review
- Less expensive model.
- This smoker is about 10” larger than the Masterbuilt 20078715 and Bradley Digital 4-Rack Smoker.
- It allows you to cook large amount of food at once. It is highly recommended to use for parties, occasions, etc.
- It is easy to assemble this item.
- It won’t take long to set up this smoker.
Inconsistent amount of smoke
- The heading element in this smoker does not keep chips hot enough to produce smoke constantly.
- It will take some work on your part to keep the internal temperature hot enough to generate smoke from the chips.
- It is difficult to set up the program.
- This smoker requires more attention ad work to acquire the desired temperature.
- You must set the smoker to a higher degree than what you need, then turn it down until you reach the right temperature.
- This can be use up longer than the other electric smokers.
- Several customers have issue with this product because the door itself does not fasten perfectly so there’s some smokes leaking out.
3. Bradley Smokers Original Smoker
- This electric smoker is flexible to use of either hot-smoking or cold-smoking with no separate attachment required.
- Customers who purchased this smoker were raving about the delicious smoky flavor that saturates whatever food you cook inside of it.
- It is comparable to that of a traditional charcoal smoker.
- It is automatic wood chips feeder to the internal chamber.
- It is automated to give itself the required amount of fuel to maintain whatever temperature you have specified.
- This Smoker comes with a recipe book with all kinds of the ideas for your new smoker.
- Customers have given positive feedback about the recipes they tried from the recipe book.
- It only has a maximum temperature of 250 o
- It will take a little longer while cooking.
- The interior walls of this unit are made of stainless steel, but the actual racks are made of chrome.
- The racks are easy to be rusted.
- This smoker has a lower wattage than other models.
- This could also be a problem in cold environments as the heating element may not be powerful enough to maintain its heat.
4. Smokehouse Products Little Chief Front Load Smoker
- It is cheaper than other electric smoker.
- One of the most affordable smokers on this list.
- This smoker comes with a two-year warranty.
- It has a strong defect protection.
Simple and easy to use
- This is a very basic beginner’s smoker.
- It has a standard option.
- This is the best option for casual or first-time smokers.
- It will last from 15-20 years with proper care.
- This electric smoker is highly recommended by many buyers because of the long lifespan of it.
- It has only one temperature setting of 165o
- No setting for turning up and down the temperature.
- Based on customer’s feedback, you may end up cooking your foods with oven.
- This model is the smaller than other smokers on the list.
- Not recommended to use for family, parties, occasions, etc. because of its small size.
- The temperature can struggle in a cold weather because of the low power of this product.
- This unit is designed to add a smoky flavor to food but it usually takes longer for cooking so you might end up to finish it with oven.
5. Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker
- This kind of Best Electric Smoker has a window on its front panel so you can view your food while it’s cooking.
- This smoker is designed with wheels and handle.
- It is much easier to move / relocate because you do not have to wait for it to cool down.
- It has a removable temperature gauge in different areas of the smoker and it would also be easy to replace if you needed to.
- This smoker comes with a remote control that allows you to change some settings without actually being right next to the unit.
- This electric smoker is very convenient to use with remote control.
- It only has a maximum temperature of 250 o
- It doesn’t really give smoky taste the food.
- Some customers are having problem with the heating element of this unit.
- It is hard to clean.
- It takes a lot of effort to get the smoke residue off the internal chamber.
- The smell stays for a little while after using this electric smoker.
6. Masterbuilt 20077615 Electric Smoker
Built-in meat probe thermometer
- This Masterbuilt has a built-in meat probe thermometer which is very convenient for monitoring your food.
- This digital electric smoker reportedly has some of the best smoky flavors that you can get without using a traditional charcoal smoker.
Easy to use
- This particular model is very simple, so even new buyers of smokers can use it with ease. Most aspects of it are self-explanatory.
- There is a window in the front panel of the smoker so you can watch your food while it is cooking.
- This is another way you can monitor your meats, along with the built-in meat-probe thermometer, without opening the smoker’s door.
- This is one of the most expensive smokers on this list be prepared to spend a good amount of money on it.
- There are several reports of the remote for this unit working poorly. Customers say that the battery loses contact with the conductors easily, and the remote past to be modified for it to work.
- This Masterbuilt smoker requires you to continuously add wood chips to it, so it’s not quite something where you can set it and forget it.
- You will need to monitor the cooking process.
- Even though this model is relatively easy to use, it is still recommended that you research smoking before you use it for the first time, as the directions included do not give you all the background information you need to know.
7. Masterbuilt 20075315 Front Controller Smoker
- At 40 inches, this is one of the largest models on our list.
- This is convenient for times when you want to cook multiple meals at once or cook for multiple people at one time.
- Most parts in the smoker are removable and fit in your dishwasher. People have praised Masterbuilt for how easy this smoker is to clean because of that.
- A smoke ring is achievable using the Masterbuilt 20075315 model, which, in many cases, cannot happen in electric smokers.
- There is no extended warranty available, even by purchase. This could be concerning to some consumers who are very hard on their products.
- This smoker does have a window, but there is no light inside the chamber. Once the smoke gets going, you won’t be able to see your food.
- The smoker only heats to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While that is a bit higher than other models in this list, you may still find yourself having to finish certain foods in your oven.
8. Old Smokey Electric Smoker
- At 300 degrees this unit has the capability to cook poultry and fish thoroughly. You can achieve crispy skin on chicken and turkey in the smoker.
- This is a very basic model with no unnecessary bells or whistles. Because it is so basic, it is incredibly simple to use.
- Customers love how long this model lasts. It has the potential for several years of working perfectly.
- This smoker is ideal for a quick smoked meal. It can smoke several different types of meat in only a few hours.
- With only two racks, gauging the internal temperature of your meat is somewhat difficult.
- Since you cannot open up the sides of this model at all, you may have to remove the top rack to check something on the bottom, which is not suitable for maintaining temperature.
- The outside of the smoker gets extremely hot, so you will need to be careful that children are not around this unit while it’s on, and no one.
- Severe burns are possible, so use caution.
- Some screws are inside the main chamber which are used to hang the racks.
- When you do anything with the racks, or even clean the inside, many people have complained of getting scratched by the screws.
- The screws may also get in the way during cooking.
- The wood chips burn at the bottom of the unit underneath the two racks.
- The smoker does not have an automatic chip feeder, so when you manually add chips to the unit you will have to remove both racks to get to the chip chamber.
- This model is not ideal for a slow smoke because of that.
9. Smoke Hollow 30162E
- From the time you get the Smoke Hollow Electric Smoker out of its box to the time when it’s ready to be used is only 15 to 20 minutes, making it one of the easiest models on this list to assemble.
- The Smoke Hollow is very easy to use, making it ideal for someone who is just beginning to learn how to smoke.
- Customers have reported that this unit delivers a great smoky flavor.
- There is no digital temperature control on this smoker so to change the amount of heat, you will have to read the temperature gauge and then manually adjust the power knob.
No automatic wood feeder
- To add chips while cooking, you will have to open the door to the smoker, which will cause some heat loss every time.
- Customers have complained that this door leaks smoke.
- This will cause you to have a less smoky flavor overall and may also result in longer cooking times if heat is being lost through the door.
Small drip pan
- Another complaint was the size of the Smoke Hollow drip pan.
- Several people have had to fashion their own larger drip pans to catch the grease that leaks out of this smoker.
10. Masterbuilt 20076716 4-Rack Electric Smoker
- This unit includes 10-inch leg stands which many people have found to be quite helpful. It also comes with heat-resistant gloves and cover.
- The Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smoker with Leg Kit Cover and Gloves also comes with a temperature remote that gives you control from the inside of your house.
- This smoker maintains its internal temp well with minimal effort on your part.
- This model is available in several different colors, so if you’re looking for a bright accent to your outdoor space, this could be for you.
- It seems a lot of these models are damaged in the shipping phase. This could indicate a less-resilient material, so be prepared for potentially having to deal with returns or exchanges.
- The instructions included in the package are a bit lacking.
- New smokers will have to do their own research before attempting their first smoke.
This smoker does have a window, but it will become opaque after the smoke fills up the unit so it’s somewhat of a pointless addition.
11. Jim beam BTDS76JB Bradley Smoker
Automatic chip feeder
- This unit gives itself some chips that it needs to fuel the heat and smoke. You will not have to worry about opening the door to maintain the chips.
- This smoker does not get hot on the outside, so you won’t need to worry about extra caution when touching its surface.
Simple initial set-up
- The assembly for this model is relatively easy and will not consume much time or energy.
To work or not to work
- It is somewhat of a toss-up with whether or not you will receive a working unit.
- Many of these smokers seem to arrive damaged, or break after a couple of uses.
- Many customers have complained about having to exchange their smokers.
Long preheating time
- This smoker takes a long time initially to reach your desired temperature.
- Allow a couple of hours for it to warm up before you put food in to cook.
- The lower racks in the Jim Beam Bradley Smoker cook faster than upper racks so that some monitoring will be required.
- You may even have to rotate food on the racks so that they get an equal amount of heat.
12. Bradley Smoker 4-Rack Digital Outdoor Smoker
Set and Leave
- It is automatic wood chips feeder to the internal chamber.
- Just sit and relax after you had setup the desired temperature and time.
- This product is primarily stainless steel.
- It has a pretty decent outward appearance.
- Easy to clean.
- This product has a program setting for certain level of smoke.
- It will modify the rate in which the wood chips burn to accommodate to your setting.
- Can smoke cheese or butter to melt using this Electric Smoker in low temperature.
Exacting with temperature
- Meat should be warmed a bot before smoking (boiled, steamed or microwaved).
- The internal temperature will drop down quick when you put frozen stuff.
- Can’t open the door while cooking; it will mess up the setting for temperature.
- This product is controllable up to 320 oF but you can only turn it up to 125 oF at the beginning of smoking.
- It will take a little while to heat up before it is ready to use.
- Have to keep an eye the unsteadiness of temperature when cooking large amount of food.
Amount of smoke inconsistently
- You cannot load it up more wood chips like other smokers to get a burst of smoke.
Difficult to use in cold environments
- Temperature can struggle in cold weather and high cold wind.
13. Masterbuilt 20070203 Electric Smoker review
- The temperature of this unit cannot struggle even in cold weather.
- The temperature doesn’t change after setting up the program.
- It is very durable and long lasting to be able to withstand long-term use.
- This kind of Masterbuilt smoker has replaceable parts.
- The individual components are replaceable.
Timer controlled temperature
- The heat in the smoker automatically shuts off when the timer reaches zero.
- It will not begin to warm up until the timer is set up. This means you have to set a certain amount of time for the unit even to preheat.
No cold smoking
- This Masterbuilt does not produce any smoke under 185 degrees Fahrenheit which means cold smoking is not an option.
- You have to purchase a separate attachment if you want lower heat smoke.
- This model dos not include any wheels or handles which makes it tough to move. You will need to choose its location with that in mind.
14. Southern Country Smokers 2 in 1 Electric Water Smoker
Side access door
- While this smoker does not have an automatic chip feeder, it does have an access door on its side, so you can put wood chips into the internal chamber without losing very much heat.
Steam and smoke
- This smoker teams water while simultaneously smoking chips which is allows a deeper penetration of flavor into food.
- The wooden handles are heat resistant, so this unit is relatively easy to move. The lod also has a wooden handle which will make it simpler to manipulate during cooking.
- With this smoker, you are able to convert your unit into a charcoal grill. However, a separate purchase is necessary to do so.
Only two racks
- This smoker will not hold a large amount of food.
- You can only check the food on the bottom rack if you remove the top rack first.
- Consumers have reported problems with this model achieving a high enough temperature to cook things over a long period.
- It is not recommended to use this unit for long; full-day smokers.
- There have also been several complaints of these smokers arriving damaged or dented right out of the package.
- The metal is very thin which the main problem.
- This smoker will only last about a year.
Best Electric Smoker Buying Guides
A smoker is a healthy and safe cooking product that avoids using oil, using wood and steam together to smoke your food. There are a variety of sources of heat for a smoker, like charcoal and hardwood, gas which uses propane or natural gas and electric. Each one produces different results and some may prefer one fuel source against another but the popular one for the modern home is the electric smoker. You don’t need to keep looking around for bags of wood or gas bottles, no more lighting up coals waiting for them to catch, refilling when it gets low, you have complete freedom with the electric smoker.
The electric smoker is much safer than the other popular home smoker that gets plumbed into the gas or uses gas bottles. There are no risks of explosion or high winds blowing it out. They are safe enough to need little or no attention once the food has been prepared. Remember that all smokers are to be used outside, not indoors; they become your barbecue smoker and you become the gourmet.
You have a lot of control and the ability to just ‘set it and forget it’ with the electric smoker that isn’t available with other fuel sources. This kind of BBQ smoker is ideal for the busy professional or family that is time and health focused, you don’t have to keep checking it every five minutes. You can prepare the food, set it up, leave it and come home hours later, the food ready and smoked to succulent perfection.
You have an interesting variety of wood flavor sources too to experiment with. The flavors that are popular are hickory, mesquite, alder, apple, cherry, maple, oak and pecan. This gives you complete freedom to smoke cook your choice of juicy slabs of ribs, delicious shoulders, moist whole briskets, succulent spare ribs, tender baby back, big roasts of chicken, turkey breast, beef, pork loin, sausages, fish like smoked salmon, oysters, vegetables, peppers and even cheese.
How to Buy the Best Electric Smoker
In our research we looked at what makes an electric smoker the best and even refined our ideas as we discovered more. Here we put together the factors you need to consider in buying the ideal BBQ smoker for you. There are many aesthetic reasons we left out to save you time reading through and only put here the most vital things to be aware of.
Are you a gourmet, an experienced smoker, or just someone who would love to join in and try out this healthy and tasty alternative to food cooking? Many of the electric smokers have a programming facility where you can set the temperature and time of the cooking. The fact you can set up everything in the beginning according to instructions created by the experts makes even the beginner quickly skilled in creating delicious smoked dishes. If you are new to this or you want complete freedom while cooking, then choose a smoker that is programmable with meat temperature sensors. More experienced or hands on cooks will not require any programming and the more functional smoker will suffice.
Capacity and Size
Are you cooking for yourself, your family, or even for a party at some time in the future? Think about whether you want a large or compact smoker, it would be a waste to have a massive smoker only to place a few items in each time. On the other hand maybe with your new found skills you might want to hold a party but be stuck with a compact smoker. In reality even the most compact electric smoker will hold a family sized portion of food and the larger ones in our list are energy efficient enough even when partly filled.
The other factor to size of course is where you intend to place the smoker and where it will be stored when not used, if different. Consider the space you have and the dimensions of the smoker.
Budget and Quality
Fortunately all of the electric smokers in our list fulfill the need for quality and durability. However there is still a variation in having a quality brand name with great specifications against the popular and cheaper electric smoker, we include both ends of the scale in our list of the finest smokers. Sadly budget is a major factor for many, especially when they are beginners who have not yet experienced cooking like this and choosing the cheapest is the only option practical to them. We have left in the electric smoker reviews links to one of the most trusted sources on the web, Amazon, who do have deals at times even on the most expensive products, they are worth checking often.
Trusted Reviews of the Smoker
We looked at reviews around the web, on various sites and forums and reported back on the most trusted ones. It is so important to get a true impression of owners of products to help make your choice and to tell between a genuine review and sales copy. The stars rating and number of reviews at Amazon are a good indicator of how well a product is doing, but you do have to delve deep to get a real picture. We research and report the good and bad in our reviews of the best electric smokers, telling you only the most important facts.
Why should you buy an Electric Smoker?
The following are important considerations that make an electric smoker an unbeatable choice:
- Great temperature control:the thermostat prevents major temperature fluctuations.
- Precise timing:due to the stable temperature, you know exactly how long it takes for the meat to be ready and you can set the smokers to have it done just in time for your meals.
- Minimum efforts:you just set the smoker and get back to it when the cycle is complete.
- Resource savings:only 2-4 ounces of wood is required to ensure the so much treasured smoky flavor and the energy consumption can fall under 1 kilowatt/2 hours.
- Excellent insulation:as a result, electric smokers can be safely used throughout the winter.
- Flexibility:with the possibility to adjust temperature and set the timer, electric smokers can be used for any type of meat, fish and even cheese and peppers.
Electric Smoker Buying Guide – Features to Look For
- Thermostat vs. rheostat – The cheaper electric smokers usually feature a rheostat that reduces the electricity flow towards the coil without turning it off. Those with a thermostat are better, both when it comes to electricity consumption and to the smoking results, considering that they heat the coil and smoke the wood better.
- Energy consumption – Of course, if you live in a rented apartment and electricity is included in your lease, you won’t care about this, but since a reliable guide does not take into account special situations, we thought it necessary to point out that some smokers consume half the electricity required by others, which can have a major influence on the electricity bill – not to mention that smokers with high electricity consumption may overload the circuits and make the premises prone to fire hazard.
- Sealing – It may seem too insignificant to discuss this in our buying guide, but it is very important when it comes to smoking cheese, vegetables, fish, chicken or beef and, basically every type of meat where moisture retention is crucial.
- Smoking drawer capacity and structure – You know better than anyone if it takes a huge drawer to satisfy your family’s needs or just a small one for your bachelor meals. As far as the materials are concerned, stainless steel might be a great choice because it is easy to clean.
- Extension cords – They are not exactly the first thing you consider when you go out shopping, but we believe they are worth mentioning and are even twice as essential selection criteria in our electric smoker buying guide. If you consider the distance from the place you had in mind for the smoker to the power supply, you will see that most extension cords are too short. The other characteristic to pay attention to is their capacity, because if they cannot carry the juice it takes to keep your smoker running and they heat up, they can easily turn into a fire hazard. It might be best to have one custom made, according to your needs.
- Warranty period and conditions:They are usually the same for most models, but any differences are worth considering, since they may later turn into considerable value on the repair bill.
- Design – Since it is going to animate your kitchen for a long time, it is important for your electric smoker to match the rest of the appliances in your kitchen and even allow some remodeling freedom.
- Price – Smokers are a long-term investment, and paying a little more when buying them might extend their life period with a couple of years, reduce the electricity bill or improve the smoking results.
With that, we complete the set of eight criteria which this buying guide is based on.
Assuming your choice is already made or will pose no difficulties, we have a tip you may find useful: since electric smokers don’t always deliver the pink appealing color we all love, you can lend yours a hand by enriching the wood box with one or two charcoal briquettes.
Considering the extensive research in getting the best list of top rated electric smoker in the market, we, therefore, believe that this post will help you find the best electric smoker for your own need.
Hoping you have found our electric smoker buying guide helpful, we wish you happy smoking and bon appétit!