Temperature accuracy is critical when it comes to smoking meat. If you’re going to invest in a smoker and do the research behind finding the perfect one, it’s only fair that you do your homework for an adequate smoker thermometer as well. As you probably know by now, there’s certainly a wide variety available and they all come with their own bells and whistles.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at some of the best bbq smoker thermometers you can buy. For you to receive the most useful information, we’re going explain the main features, then dive into the pros and cons of each. The types of smoker thermometers we’ll be covering are as follows:
Table of Contents
- How to care for a smoker thermometer?
- ThermoPro TP-08 vs ThermoPro TP20
- Best Smoker Thermometer Under $50
- Best Selling Thermometer
- Best Smoker Thermometer Under $10
- Best Waterproof Smoker Thermometer
- Longest Range Smoker Thermometer
- Best Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer on a Budget
- Best Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer – Our Pick!
- Best Heavy Duty Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer
- Best Weber Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer
- Best User Friendly Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer
- The Bottom Line
How to care for a smoker thermometer?
After investing in a smoker thermometer, you’ll want to make the most of it and ensure it’s ready everytime you’re ready. Just like with anything, if you don’t take care of it properly, parts can break and you’ll find yourself back at square one. To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, we’re going to review how to care for a smoker thermometer.
We’s Pro Tips
- Always fully power down after each use to save battery life
- Always clean your probes after each use with a damp cloth following hot, soapy water
- Always attach your probe to the grill via a clip; resting it directly will ruin it over time
- Never leave your LCD screen directly in the sunlight for extended periods of time
- Never fully submerge your cables in the dishwasher – water resistant doesn’t mean waterproof
- Never leave your smoker thermometer outside in between uses and avoid using it in the rain
Similarities of the ThermoPro TP-08 and ThermoPro TP20
- Digital, wireless, and remote functionality
- Outstanding customer support offered from ThermoPro
- Stress free set up, ready to use out of box – just add batteries
- Both feature dual probes which come with a lifetime warranty
- Transmitter and receiver are pre-synced at factory saving you any future headache
Differences of the ThermoPro TP-08 and ThermoPro TP20
- Lower temperature alarms
- Better for smoking due to low temp alarms
- Does not feature up and down arrows – if you exceed temperature when setting alarm, you have to restart by surpassing max temp
- High temperature alarms
- Higher end model – more bells and whistles
- Features up and down arrows to increase and decrease temperatures
Best Smoker Thermometer Under $50
ThermoPro TP-08 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer
Number two on our list and the best smoker thermometer for under $50 is the ThermoPro TP-08 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer. Popular for good reason, this wireless remote thermometer offers chefs a great deal of features and comes at more than a reasonable price. Here are the top 5 features of the ThermoPro TP-08!
Main features of the ThermoPro TP-08 include:
- Easy and super simple set up – just add batteries
- Built in alarm to ensure proper cook time
- Kitchen probe measures 6.5” and BBQ probe measures 3”
- User friendly temperature ranges from 32°F to 572°F (0°C to 300°C)
- Transmitter and receiver are pre-synced at factory – less work for you!
- Save trips to the grill with a wireless remote
- 1 year warranty; 3 year warranty with registration
- Great warranty comes with great customer service as well
- Temperature probe can become less accurate after extended use
- Probes may be too short depending on size of meats being cooked
- Directions are more text focused than diagram focused – may be confusing to some
Best Selling Thermometer
ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer
Following the ThermoPro TP-08 is the Thermo TP20, which is also the best selling thermometer on Amazon. While the TP-08 and TP20 both come with amazing benefits, we’re going to review the main features first before taking a look at the pros and cons. Following this, we’ll also cover the similarities and differences between the two!
Main features of the ThermoPro TP20 Thermometer include:
- Upgraded wireless connectivity accurate up to 300 ft.
- Transmitter and receiver are pre-synced at factory
- LCD screen displays food and oven temp at same time
- Preset for 9 different types of meat and their doneness equivalent per USDA
- Probe cables can withstand heats up to 716°F
- Comes with 2 prongs ready to use
- Easy to operate and very accurate
- 1 year warranty; 3 year warranty with registration
- Complimentary clip in the receiver sits awkwardly on some grills
- Batteries need to be taken out between uses or they’ll drain faster
- Some people have encountered range challenges reaching the 300 ft. max
Read more: ThermoPro vs Maverick Which is Best?
Best Smoker Thermometer Under $10
Weber 6492 Original Instant-Read Thermometer
First on our list and coming in at just under $10 is the Weber 6492 Original Instant-Read Thermometer. Don’t be fooled by its size, this instant read thermometer is ideal for quick reads and low budgets. There are some great features that you need to know about before making the executive decision on which smoker thermometer is right for you. Let’s see what it has to offer then take a look at it’s pros and cons.
Main features of the Weber 6492 Original Instant-Read Thermometer:
- Digital display reads very clear
- Thermometer automatically turns off at 15 minutes
- Built in protective sleeve safeguards from wear and tear
- Adaptable between a variety of grills including charcoal and gas
- Head swivels which makes for easy reading
- Hassle free and reads in seconds
- Has Fahrenheit and Celsius settings
- Displays numbers are large and great for people with poor vision
- Not meant to be left in the smoker, grill, or oven
- Swivel head is a little top heavy, but still does the job.
- “Instant” doesn’t mean less than one second readings, but will read in under 30 seconds
Best Waterproof Smoker Thermometer
Mister Chefer Food Thermometer for Kitchen and Outdoor Cooking
Mister Chefer Food Thermometer for Kitchen and Outdoor Cooking is the fourth on our list and the best waterproof smoker thermometer too. Reasonably priced lower than the ThermoPro TP-08, this easy to use tool is perfect for chefs of all experience levels and is jam packed with a variety of excellent aspects. Here are the main features of the Mister Chefer thermometer you must know!
Main features of the Mister Chefer Thermometer include:
- Measures temperature within 3 seconds
- Wide temperature range of -58°F to 572°F
- Built in magnet to easily attach to a variety of surfaces
- Long stainless steel probe that also folds for safe storage
- Durable and made from strong ABS plastic
- Easy to read digital screen
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Tip of the stainless steel probe has an antibacterial coating
- Does not come with protective case
- Buttons may stick after prolonged use
- Magnet is low to medium grade strength
Longest Range Smoker Thermometer
Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer W/ Spare Probe
The longest range smoker thermometer on our list is the Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer. Not only does it come with a spare probe, but it comes with a handful of unique features. After we review the features offered by this thermometer, we’ll also review the ups and downs shared by recent customers. Let’s see what this model has to offer!
Main features of the Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer include:
- Wireless range of up to 325 ft. (longest on your list!)
- 3 probes with 3-ft cables which can withstand heats up to 716°F
- 15 preprogrammed temperatures for different types of meat and poultry
- LCD screen flashes and beeps to indicate when heat exceeds preset temperature
- Provides an ‘Out of Range Alert’ if you’re too far away for one minute
- Highly accurate
- Comes with spare meat probe
- Meat timers help to reduce burning and overcooking
- Does not include batteries (4 AAA required)
- LCD screen may be hard to read under direct sunlight
- Instructions are written on small print and can be hard to read for some
Best Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer on a Budget
Inkbird 150ft Digital Cooking Bluetooth Wireless Grill Meat Oven BBQ Thermometer with Stainless Steel Probe
Starting off our list of best Bluetooth smoker thermometers is the Inkbird 150ft Digital Cooking Bluetooth Wireless Grill Meat Oven BBQ Thermometer with Stainless Steel Probe. This product is perfect for any one on the hunt for a high quality Bluetooth smoker thermometer on a budget. This moderately priced model has a lot to offer, let’s take a look!
Main features of the Inkbird Digital Cooking Bluetooth Wireless Thermometer include:
- Wireless range of up to 150 ft.
- Easy to use Bluetooth technology and connects to Android and iOS devices
- Very accurate and responds quick
- App comes with a variety of useful extras such as timer
- Added bonus: comes with probe clip for grill
- App profile, temperature, and time is customizable with each use
- Instantly pairs with previous device it was connected to for next use
- Packing is neat and secure – no need to worry about damaged shipments
- App does not track historical data
- Sensor cannot withstands heats higher than 300°C/570℉
- Batteries are not included and stainless steel cables are not waterproof – be careful!
Best Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer – Our Pick!
Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer Set
The Maverick ET-733 is number seven on our list and our pick for the best Bluetooth smoker thermometer. All around, this thermometer is top dog among our other Bluetooth models and for good reason. Before we see what recent customers had to say about their experience with the Maverick ET-733, we’re going to review the main benefits you can expect to receive.
Main features of the Maverick ET-733 Smoker Meat Thermometer Set include:
- Wireless range of up to 300 ft.
- 4 AAA batteries are included
- Probe cables can withstand temperatures up to 716°F
- 15 pre-programmed temperatures for different types of meat and poultry
- LCD screen alerts user via beeps and flashes when temperature is above preset
- Secure packaging
- Comes with 2 probe clips for grill
- Duel probes are useful for cooking multiple items at once
- Probes become inaccurate over time
- Programming instructions can be difficult to comprehend depending on the user
- Probe cables are only 3 ft. long – some customers say they wish they were a little longer
Best Heavy Duty Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer
Weber iGrill 2 Thermometer
Heavy duty and high quality, the Weber iGrill 2 carries the prestigious Weber name and is great for zeroing in on meat temperatures every time. This user friendly model easy grips on to nearly any surface and clearly displays readings from probes. Below are a few of the outstanding benefits built in to this thermometer.
Main features of the Weber iGrill 2 include:
- 200 hour battery life and Bluetooth range of 150 ft.
- Use up to 4 probes at once – 2 included are pro-level resisting high heat and steam
- Customizable temperate alarms ranging from -22° F (-30°C) to 572° F (300°C)
- Easy to use app is compatible with iOS and Android devices
- Weather proof and built to last
- LED screen is bright and reads clear
- Offers graphs and data while cooking
- Weatherproof Meat Smoking Guide Magnet aids in favorable woods for smoking
- Despite 150 ft. Bluetooth range, some customers have had difficulties achieving this
- App update (Q3, 2017) changed interface of app and some have found this frustrating
- Challenges with smoking large amounts of meat due to loss of heat from checking temp
Best Weber Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer
Weber iGrill 3 Thermometer
Next is the best Weber Bluetooth smoker thermometer on our list: the iGrill3. This thermometer only works with the Weber Genesis II and it’s the titan of Weber thermometers. There are a range of excellent qualities that come with this model you should be aware of. Let’s see what sets this product apart from the other Bluetooth smoker thermometers!
Main features of the Weber iGrill 3 Thermometer include:
- Fuel level detection for propane grills
- Bluetooth connection has range up to 150 ft.
- On/off switch for knob light
- Option to use up to 4 probes at once – 2 are included with purchase
- Created to work with Weber Genesis II and Weber Genesis II XL grills
- Apps pairs smoothly with iOS and Droid devices
- Temperature readings have reported to be very accurate
- Set and forget technology – beeps when desired temp is reached
- Only works with Weber Genesis II
- App update (Q3, 2017) changed interface of app and some have found this frustrating
- Challenges with smoking large amounts of meet due to loss of heat from checking temp
Best User Friendly Bluetooth Smoker Thermometer
Cappec Bluetooth Digital Meat Thermometer for BBQ Oven Smoker Grill
Last on our list is the Cappec Bluetooth Digital Meat Thermometer and we’re giving this one the title of best user friendly Bluetooth smoker thermometer. This super simple model is very straightforward and perfect for beginners. To ensure this is the right fit for you, let’s examine some of it’s favored features and pros and cons!
Main features of the Cappec Bluetooth Digital Meat Thermometer include:
- Includes 2 stainless steel probes rated to withstand temperatures up to 716°F
- Bluetooth technology connects up to a range of 100 ft.
- Temperate reads from -4° F (-20°C) to 482° F (250°C)
- Easily connects to iOS and Android devices
- App has preset temperatures to help ensure meats are cooked properly every time
- Very fast and accurate readings
- Outstanding customer service offered from Cappec
- Made from strong, durable materials – don’t worry about minor scratches if you drop it
- Grill clip not included
- If powered down, you have to reset temperature
- Base unit is lightweight – be sure to strap it down if grilling or smoking in windy conditions
The Bottom Line
From this, we hope something caught your eye and you’re on your way to enjoying a great tool from our list. The 10 best smoker thermometers listed above all come with their own unique qualities and are sure to provide you with accurate, consistent outcomes. Here are the main top 4 smoker thermometers and their respective categories to wrap things up:
In the end, there’s a thermometer for everyone. We did our homework so you don’t have to. Now the rest is up to you. Every chef, master or amateur, needs a thermometer to ensure their meals come out as they had intended. We hope this review was useful in helping you make your next thermometer investment. Leave a comment below and let us know which one you ultimately went with, we love hearing from our readers. Happy smoking!